Sunday, November 16, 2008

Marriage Tidbits

Here are some great tidbits from some married people, mainly women that I found to be quite profound while reading the article The things no one ever tells you about being married. I found this article over at Canadian Living.

Here were my favourite tidbits:

"If he leaves his socks on the floor on your honeymoon, chances are he is going to leave his socks on the floor on your 50th wedding anniversary." - Shannon, 36, married 10 years

"My only advice is to spend quality time together doing something you both enjoy." - Andrea, 34, married 7 years

"Whether you have been married for 6 months or 60 years, always put 100 per cent into your relationship and respect each other. If you looked at marriage as if both partners had the opportunity to renew the contract every 5 years, would your spouse want to renew?" - Judy, 41, married 18 years

"Remember, you do not love yourself 100 per cent of the time so do not expect to love your spouse 100 per cent of the time either. Seventy-five to 80 per cent will do." - Helen, 59, married 35 years

"Learn the fine art of compromise." - Dave, 57 (Cathy's husband)

"If you never think I’ve had it with him/her and I’m outta here' during your marriage then I suspect you are just not human.” - Jane, 60, married 37 years

If there was one thing that I could say about marriage, it would be....


"Love your partner each day as if their being with you is a gift, and you might never see them again. Laugh every day with them. Play every day with them. Surprise them each day. Love them with all of your heart, never hold back. Before you die, be able to say 'I lived, and I loved' and never have regrets." - Mama of Romance


What would you say? Comment below, and share your words of wisdom on the subject of marriage.


Here's a funny video clip of a ventriloquist on the subject of marriage, there is some foul language, but it is so funny!



Sincerely,

Mama of Romance
xoxo

If you like Sex Diaries of a Mom, subscribe to this Sexiness.
Subscribe in a reader

7 comments:

Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) said...

It's one thing to love your husband, and an entirely other thing to like your husband. Take the time to get to know him personally, on a non-romantic level. That way, you'll always have something to fall back on.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Marriage is one of the most difficult things there is. The love should always be there, but you're not always going to particularly LIKE your spouse. As long as you remember that the love is there, everything else works out.

Keely said...

Choose your battles wisely. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Sandi said...

You all know how many kids I have,.....Well, 14 kids is easier than one husband. It is not easy, It is the hardest relationship of all in my book. But, It is the greatest one of all when it works. I find you get out of a marriage what you put into it. I am NOT the expert by any means. I have driven one husband away BUT I am working on keeping the second one! It is HARD!

Thanks for a fun post!

Sandi said...

I totally agree with it all! I have been married now for 13 years. I know I still have a ton to learn but honestly I have learned so much. I love the hubby more than life but sometimes still want to wring his neck. LOL I know the feeling is mutual. Marriage is hard work. Love isn't enough. You have to work at it and make time for each other.

Straight to Your Hart said...

The opperative word I am seeing is WORK. It surrounds everything we do. Why should marriage be any different?? All of those comments as well as yours are the absolute truth.

If I can serve customers with a smile and not begrudge them of there nastiness towards me.. with patience...then why not my relationship??

Diana H said...

When things are stressful and hectic, and you are ready to throw out a mean word, stop and say what you really mean, not what you're about to say.